Monday, May 2, 2011

Week Twenty: Last Day . . . At My Other Job!

Well, this is my last day as an intern at the office.  I’m feeling a bit sad, but that’s because I’m quitting . . . my other job to work here next semester as the first paid Staff Writer!  I’m very excited to get an opportunity such as this.  It never seemed too much like a job here and it’s hard to believe that I will actually getting paid for my writing.  I never thought I would see the day . . .

Let’s take a look at this for a minute.  I spent well over five years bagging groceries and working customer service.  Not that this was a bad job or anything, but I’m going to college to be a writer.  I was hesitant in the first place to get an internship.  I knew that I would be graduating soon.  I also knew that I would need experience to get a job but that I wouldn’t be able to get experience without getting a job that I couldn’t get because it required experience.  Confusing?  It’s the paradox of our generation.

Luckily, I found out about internships.  I went into the ELC to get help getting an internship and they were so helpful they gave me an internship as Staff Writer.  Not only did I get college credit and experience in my field but now I am also doing this as my job.  Getting this real-world experience also helped me figure out exactly what I wanted to do when I graduate.   I now have experience, my writing is getting published, and I’m gaining important networking connections . . . who knew that this many avenues would have opened up for me through this internship?  I encourage each and every person to get an internship and start actually doing what you want to do.   

No comments:

Post a Comment